Contact us for a Consultation 613-867-6871
Areas & Topics

Ottawa Legal Blog

How do you divide a matrimonial home?

Ending a marriage can be a difficult experience. There are many different aspects of a separation or divorce to consider, such as how you will move forward financially, emotionally, or as co-parents if children are involved.

Deciding on who gets to keep the matrimonial home is one part of the divorce process that can become a contentious issue. As outlined on the Ontario Attorney General website, there are a couple of different ways couples can handle the division of this specific property.

Can I sponsor my girlfriend or boyfriend?

Many people hear about individuals sponsoring their husband or wife, children, or parents. However, what if you don’t have familial ties to someone you want to bring over? For many people, certain relationships are not accepted by their home countries. So how does one sponsor a domestic partner that is not a spouse?

In order to sponsor someone at all, you must meet certain requirements, as laid out on the site. There are other situational criteria as well, but the general guidelines for eligibility are that you must be:

Impaired driving: what a conviction could mean for immigrants

If you have been convicted of a “serious criminal offence”—either in Canada or abroad—it will likely lead to your inadmissibility to the country of deportation from it. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) goes to great lengths to ensure that whoever enters the country poses little risk to public safety.

For a long time, the list of offences constituting “serious criminality” fell under one of the below categories:

Learn How We Can Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Practice Areas